Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Stephanie Principal: Life Is Precious!

        Hello, I am Stephanie Principal and I'm a freshman. Since High school, i have always heard about the Holocaust but to be honest I've never really paid attention or not wanted to pay attention. It was not intentional but I had that mindset that if it wasn't me or my people why should I get involve?
 During senior year in High School, we were assigned a reading project in which I had to read “NIGHT" by Ellie Wiesel. I have to say, that book is amazing. I recommend that you guys read it. It is mind blowing and frustrating to know that such cruelty could exist and existed. That is when I started to change and realized that I wanted to know more.
        I enrolled in Religion 422 and the Poland trip and I think that this was a good decision. A second book that I started to read is ' The Holocaust Kingdom" and it is heart breaking. As a child I cannot imagine being separated from my family. We cherish so many things other than our lives. I am a materialistic person, not to say a shop addict. Everything new, I got to have but life is the most precious thing that we have and there are no other people who knows it better than the survivors. They fought and they survived. To be even more brave and amazing, they shared their story because such thing cannot and should never happen again.
        Being a bystander makes you indifferent they say. Most of us think that a bystander does not get involved in any situation but by assisting, you already are doing too much. You are a legitimate spectator and you are assisting at a show like the Holocaust that should not require audience. A bystander is a defensive behavior. I hope that we learn from that mistake because one of the reasons that this cruel event took place is because "we" were bystanders.
        Furthermore, we had a guest speaker last Saturday and one of the things he said was “If I saw Hitler I would have ask him why?". I said wow! That man has a great heart. He clearly said that if he was in the presence of his father's murderer, he would have simply asked why. In my opinion this one worded question would have convulsed Hitler because I am sure that he wouldn't know how to answer that since it doesn't involve violence or revenge.

           

0 comments:

Post a Comment