Sunday, March 17, 2013

Ann Zelenka-My Grandmother's Death

As I returned from Poland last night, I found out that my grandmother was dying. She died tonight on Sunday at 9:30pm. She is the Polish grandmother, and I wanted to tell her of my experiences, but I was unable to do so as she was unconcious up until tonight.
       This experience relates to our trip as first of all my grandmother was of Polish descent and secondly because she was one of my inspirations for pursuing my interest for my heritage. I have always been truly impressed by the strength that my family members have displayed towards all aspects of their lives, particularly in the elements of work and educational edndeavors.
         My grandmother is best described as a kind and caring woman who did her absolute best to help everyone in her path. She had ten children and cared for all them. Additionally, one of her children was handicapped and she did absolutely everything for her daughter. Now she is united with my aunt in heaven and hopefully also my grandfather. And hopefully we will all be united in Heaven one day.
         Another correlation with our studies is the discussion of the topic of death. Death in general does not always have to be viewed as an ending, but rather a beginning. My grandmother now has reached a new beginning, but this time, within the realm of heavenly or eternal life rather than earthly or temporal life. Likewise, those who experienced death due to the Shoah also experienced new beginnings: an end to suffering and the start of the eternal life.
        Memories can be said to live on forever, but eventually even these are buried within the framework of passing time. What is more important than these cherished memories are the legacies that we live out during our short lives, or the positive differences that we make. My grandmother gave all of us an example through her life of generosity and kindess. The individuals in the Shoah also, led unique lives and also had many talents. People who make a difference in the world will be remembered, even if the most personal details are forgotten, as they actually produced positivity in the world through their own examples.
       It is quite difficult for me to come back from my trip to my grandmother's death, but at the same time, I am glad that I came back in time to see her in the hospital before she actually passed. Please keep me in your prayers as I will do the same for all of you. God bless you all and thank you for the experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment