Thursday, March 15, 2012

Kelsey: A poem I wrote "The Birk Tree"

INTRO: This is a poem I wrote because I was inspired by the trees at Birkenau. In one of my previous blogs I mentioned how before the people entered the gas chambers they were forced to wait in the woods (mostly woman and children). They often had to strip down before entering the crematorium right there in the trees. And so...this is where I got the idea from...


Site of a former Crematorium



The Birk Tree

I can’t describe what happened. I wish I didn’t see.
 If you only knew what went on, right below my leaves.
Every day I saw it, every night as well.
I wish there was something I could say. If only I could yell.

A new breed of animals has taken over my land.
They’ve built all kinds of buildings; they’ve built them with a plan.
I do not know who these creatures are, but I’ve seen what they have done.
If only I could move. If only I could run.

The air has got so toxic; it’s burning through my skin.
I see the humans out there. Why are they so thin?
I hear the sound of thunder but not the kind with rain.
 A different sound of thunder, I heard it’s called a train.
Each day it makes its rumbles. I see them come but then they go,
what have these creatures done?

I want to help these people but there’s nothing I can do.
I want to get them out of here but I’m held down by my roots.
Days go by, months go on and now it has been years.
 I’ve grown taller now my soils been watered by tears.

It’s cold today but I think I feel the sun.
 The people are being helped the creatures are finally done.
I cannot tell my story. I want to testify.
But I’m stuck here ‘til I die, at the scene of crime.


2 comments:

  1. Yes, your soil is watered by tears and your trunk is fed by ashes. Your witness is strong and straight and true. There is no denying. [ep-f]

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and moving poem you have written from the perspective of nature watching the atrocities. I was there last year and took many photos of the birch trees since they moved me in their beauty and as witness.
    Robin Tedesco

    ReplyDelete