Monday, March 12, 2012

Michelle: In Auschwitz

The infamous sign leading us into Auschwitz, which in English says "Work will set you free".
Well, here is the bread and butter of our trip... why we are here in Poland, and a big part of what we are studying. I knew that and I sort of had in my mind what I was to expect... I knew it was going to be hard, painful, etcetera...etcetera. You know, I felt I was trained my entire life to see certain images or feel certain things... but it is so different... and much more than you could imagine. So many emotions sort of go through you and make you feel sad, angry, even betrayed. These are emotions they don't tell you that you can feel, you know?

That probably sounds incredibly vague, and I usually can find the right words to describe things, but when it comes to this is almost impossible. Instead, let me try to speak with pictures.

So-called "firing wall" for killing prisoners
View of blocks, most of which hold archives and exhibits now.
The weather was too perfect for the tour, misty and swampy, adding to the swell of emotions, and I can safely speak for the group that it was not what we expected. It became personal as our amazing tour guide slowly walked us through the camp, explaining things with numerous facts and figures that would not seem real without the exhibits. Thousands of glasses stolen from prisoners, suitcases, pots and pans, shoes, and, the worst of all, hair. The worst part of it all was that these were only exhibits. The archives, however, have many more of the same things. I used the word personal because it proved that such a thing was possible, anywhere and anyway. Born in a different time, anyone could have been a victim of such inhumanity. We could have been victims.

Because we are going to Birkenau tomorrow, I know I will probably have more self-reflection, so I will try to end on a happy and positive note. We got to meet up with Polish college students around the area of the Centre. They're really interesting, because they shared their different perspectives. We talked for a couple of hours about varying opinions on everything from Polish-Jewish relationships to even technology and schooling. We then exchanged Facebooks and Tumblrs and the like. I am excited to speak with them more! Today has so far been the most educational day, both in the camp and in the college.

0 comments:

Post a Comment