Saturday, March 9, 2013

Oswiecim Visit-Ann Zelenka


3/8/13

                        Today when we visited Oswiecim, I was overwhelmed by all of the sights that we experienced. The museum tour that we had was very informative. Additionally, seeing the exhibit with the destroyed temple really impacted me: I enjoyed the discussion of the parallels between Catholicism and Judaism, especially with the adoration and procession of the Torah during the synagogue services and the veneration of the Gospel at Mass. It is definitely so powerful to see these similarities and it displays the true depth of the connection these two religions.

            Another interesting element of tonight that that touched me was the exhibit inside the Centre for Religious Dialogue regarding the survivors and the prisoners of the Shoah. I honestly could not fathom how human beings could perform experiments on other human beings. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. I really cannot imagine how a person could castrate, experiment on, or cut wounds into another human being. What drives that type of thought process? That is the question I am left with tonight.

            I have been thinking a great deal about how Sr. Mary told us to take this trip gently. I feel like this is going to be difficult for me as I want to experience everything and take it all in without reservations, but I definitely need to allow myself time to think and reflect on what I am learning here. Nevertheless, I also want to fully experience all of the emotions in their entirety and not hold back from growing in my own personal life.

 Tonight’s discussion of the contrast experience will help me to take what I have learned and apply it within my own life. I am a firm believer in the statement: “You never know what someone else is going through unless you go through it yourself.” While we are here in Poland, we are only going to get a miniscule viewpoint on what actually occurred here as discussed in class today. However, this perspective will allow for a fuller sense of empathy towards other people: I personally hope that it helps me to think more before I speak and to fully consider the impact of every single one of my actions from here on. The struggles of these individuals are very unique and personal: we can only attempt to know the full extent of their suffering and how it personally impacted them. However, we can take this knowledge and do something to help others in our lives when we go back home. I currently am the Respect Life club president at the University of Baltimore, which is an organization that focuses on helping people of all walks of life in various areas such as post-abortion grief ministry, pregnant moms in need of clothing and supplies for their children, the homeless and hungry, those in need of clothing, the elderly, needy families and others. I hope to take my experiences from Poland and become a better witness to Christ during my work: that I am able to become more selfless and giving of my time to the people that I serve. And, I hope that through my example, people in the UB community at home and beyond also become witnesses through their own lives of charity and self-sacrifice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment