Saturday, March 9, 2013

Jessalyn: Four Dimensions Of My Journey


Welcoming Sign at Oświęcim

After months of planning, seven students, two moderators and I made the journey across the pond today. Finally after all of our preparation, we have arrived in Krakow, Poland! Driving the one-hourto Oświęcim on back roads, my thoughts became jumbled after it hit me that I was finally here.


Arriving at The Centre for Dialogue and Prayer, our group was greeted by Sister Mary, a gentle and welcoming Mercy Sister from Ireland. Hospitable from the beginning, Sister Mary took us to our rooms, on a tour of the town of Oświęcim in the afternoon, and led a discussion with us tonight about how our journey this week might be.

As Sister Mary explained, the first dimension of my journey will include silence and listening. Tomorrow I will be going to the largest death camp utilized by the Nazi’s when completing their Final Solution. It is imperative for me to remember that one person died six million times. That large of a number might be difficult for me to quantify, but nonetheless is important for me to try and fathom. 

The second dimension of my journey will include listening to the voice of my own heart. Over the next seven days I will create an atmosphere where I can reflect on the tragic events that happened decades ago. I want to connect the memory of the past with myself today. How would I have reacted if I were in the victim’s situations? Would I have kept or lost my faith?

The third dimension of my journey will be to listen to the voice of others. This week I will immerse myself in the history of the Jewish people who experienced the Shoah. Learning the facts of what took place in Auschwitz, I hope to no longer be a bystander by listening to the stories of an oppressed people and taking action after becoming informed.

The fourth and final dimension of my journey will be to listen to the voice of God. Where was He when twelve million people perished at the hands of the Nazis? At the moment I don’t have an answer for that, but only when we encounter the question, “Where is God in all of this?” can we truly listen to His voice.

I look forward to my journey tomorrow and all it has to offer.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment