Sunday, March 17, 2013

Jessalyn: Goodbye Poland


God: Where was he during WWII? This question ran throughout my mind on this trip. To me, God was within the hearts of every survivor and person who perished.
Oh my: My response to walking around the two concentration camps. I did not truly comprehend the effects of the Shoah until standing on the hallowed grounds where so many innocent people were murdered.
Ostracized: How the Jews must have felt when being rounded up into the concentration camps and when being persecuted for their religion.
Dreadful: The overall conditions the Jews were put under due to being an “inferior race”.
Bystander: Those who ignored the cries from those who needed help. 
Youth: The group targeted because they were the symbol of the continuation of the Jewish faith (phrased by Ashley Scully) and the ones who did not grow up with parents or grandparents
Elite: The group responsible for the death of 1 person 12 million times.

Precious moments: What I’ve learned from this trip is to appreciate the precious moments I have with others. I never want to take for granted the ones I love.
Observe: Look around and see both the good and the bad in this world. I need to observe my surroundings so that I will never forget important sites and people. I want to remember what I witness both from this week and forever.
Listen: Listen to survivor’s stories. This is a generation of people who will not be around next generation and it is therefore our duty to share their experiences. These ar e a phenomenal group of people who should never be forgotten.
Amazed: I’m amazed with how much I’ve learned in such a short time, amazed with those who survived the war, and especially amazed with the small group of people who risked their own lives to save the lives of others.
Night by Eli Wiesel: The book that sparked my initial interest in studying the Shoah. Without reading this book eight years ago, I do not think I would have taken a leap of faith and signed up for this trip.
Dr. Procario-Foley: The woman who made this all possible. Thank you for a trip of a lifetime. Without your hard work and dedication, this trip would not run. Opportunities to study abroad in an atmosphere such as the one our group experienced in Poland this week is rare so thank you again for all that you do.

We will never forget. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment