Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Personal Reflection On Auschwitz- Ashley Scully

I know I have a soul now that I went to Auschwitz. As a human being, looking at what happened in Auschwitz I felt my soul hurt. That is how I know I have a soul- I felt it for the first time when I walked through the camps. My soul cried, it ached, and it screamed in pain as I saw the left overs of the gas chambers, as I touched the wood of the bunkers where the Jewish prisoners slept, as I walked on the train tracks that took families--mothers, fathers, daughters, sons, grandparents--to extermination. I felt connected to my soul yesterday and today. I know now that this experience for me is not only an educational experience, but a spiritual one. I am not the same person anymore, I am not the same Catholic anymore. I know I have a soul, and therefore I am certain that God exists. 
Me standing by a glass container filled with items
(personal belongings i.e. eye glasses, silverware, etc. that belonged to the Jews)
found in Auschwitz-Birkenau

0 comments:

Post a Comment