Monday, March 18, 2013

Kaitlynn O'Reilly: March 16, 2013

Poland 
 Leaving the center the sun was shining.  Finally there were blue skies in Poland, like an invitation to Spring back home.

It has been a full week with long days and short nights of sleep, but the trip was entirely worth it.

Taking a moment to look back on it now, as I sit in the Krakow airport at Gate 6, I know that I have grown as a person.  This experience is one that will stay with me, in all the sights, sounds, and scents of Poland.

Or in the silence.

I'm thankful to the people who shared their stories, gave lectures, tours, car rides, and hospitality.  They each are an inspiration for continuing dialogue and remembrance and education on the Holocaust. 

When we first landed in Krakow and drove through the countryside, I fell in love with Poland.  Coming to Poland was my first taste of Europe.  I hope that one day I can explore more of Europe, possibly with another opportunity as extraordinary as this one.  

For anyone who is interested in this trip next year, expect to be busy and to be cold.  There is no time for partying, but the people that you will meet could not be better.  As long as you take this experience to heart, regardless of the work involved the trip will be worth it to you, just bring many many layers of clothing.  

Thank you to everyone who has followed my blog and the blogs of my friends!
Check out the blogs next year too as we continue to grow. 

Sincerely,
Kaitlynn O'Reilly 

PS: I left a piece of my heart in Poland.


1 comments:

  1. It was amazing to read the blog posts and follow your journey to Poland. And yes, this experience will stay with you all of the days of your life. We were stationed in Germany in the 1980s when the Berlin Wall was still standing. I remember traveling to East Berlin (the city was divided) and I remember thinking how sad that families were split apart. The Holocaust split families forever. I prayed that the Wall would come down one day and it finally did.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights.

    ReplyDelete