Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Introduction-Ann Zelenka

My name is Ann Margaret Zelenka, and I am a junior attending the University of Baltimore, studying jurisprudence and philosophy with the future hope of becoming a medical malpractice attorney in order to assist children who have become disabled through doctors' neglience and mistakes. The reason that I am attending this trip is to deepen my empathy for survivors of the Shoah and also to grow personally in my own life through this experience. Additionally, I would like to connect with my Polish roots and gain a deeper appreciation for my heritage.


What is intriguing/worrying/exciting you about our imminent departure? What has disturbed you in the class thus far or complicated your previous knowledge of the era?

Currently: I have mixed feelings about our imminent departure.  As I am flying alone, away from the rest of you all, and additionally, as this is my first trip out of the country, I am not exactly sure what to entirely expect. However, once I get onto the plane, and pass through Denmark, then through Poland and finally arrive at the Center, I will be relieved.

I must say that some of the materials presented to me have fully disturbed me, especially with the idea that Sacred Scripture has been used against the Jewish people. Prior to taking this class, I never knew that this was happening: I must have been walking around with my head in the clouds. When we discussed the song "The Lord Of the Dance", and when Dr. Elena discussed how this song has Anti-Semitic elements contained with the verses, I was literally blown away. I have been involved with contemporary music groups for years singing at Masses, and my own parish plays this song quite frequently. I am puzzled as to what to do about this issue: do we inform our priests of this? And if we should, how do we go about doing this in a kind, loving manner that does not portray us as being "the police", or as "know it alls"?

I am very excited to be going on this trip and I look forward to the sensitivity and the spirituality of it as well. I hope to become closer to God through observing the homeland of Pope John Paul II and through witnessing the struggles of such a profound group of people, the Jews during such a time of turmoil as the Shoah.

0 comments:

Post a Comment