Friday, March 8, 2013

My Journey-Ann Zelenka


As I reflect on my journey this evening to Poland, I think about the physical tiredness, fatigue, sweat, and sadness that I felt this evening when individuals were not so considerate towards me on my journey, and I realize that my struggle was barely anything at all in comparison to those who suffered during the events of the Shoah. My tiredness, fatigue, sweat: my small grief was nothing compared to theirs. Imagine feeling like that every day, for days, months, weeks, years. I cannot imagine this: I personally cannot even take feeling dirty for less than twelve hours. Imagine feeling and smelling and walking like that for MONTHS or YEARS. But bear it they did, and through this suffering the Jewish and other groups of Shoah survivors are inspiring witnesses of courage and valor to all of us.

                In The Holocaust Kingdom, by Alexander Donat, a quote from pg. 103. greatly inspired and moved me to turn the other cheek towards individuals who have treated me as unimportant. It is as follows: “Try to imagine Jesus on the way to Golgotha suddenly stooping to pick up a stone and hurling it at one of the Roman legionnaires. After such an act, could he ever have become the Christ? Think of Gandhi and Tolstoy, too. For two thousand years we have served mankind with the Word, with the Book. Are we now to try to convince mankind that we are warriors? We shall never outdo them at that game (Donat 103). This quote inspired me as lately I have been lashing out at others when life does not go my way. It is my hope that through this trip, I am able to regain my sense of patience and long-suffering; that I go through a personal sense of healing in these areas. So often have I been quick to react to those who have mistreated me: I wish to regain my sense of endurance and perseverance in order to overlook others’ shortcomings and to become a better person.  Even today, I experienced rudeness and impatience by individuals upon my arrival to Poland, and it made me feel very angry towards these people. How often does anger take over our emotions and make us totally bitter towards everyone? Perhaps if we all just let our anger go, events such as what occurred between the Nazis and Jewish would have never even existed. If we followed Jesus command to love others and to treat all with respect, than there would not even be any type of conception of this feeling that we call hatred. Perhaps if individuals just let their pride go, and accepted the beautiful differences that we all as human beings offer to the world, then all of these issues would subside. And even if they did not completely subside, the world would still become a better place. As I begin this week in Poland, I hope to deepen my relationship with God and grow in His Love, Grace, and beautiful, unending forgiveness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment