Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Anticipation and the Expectations

Center for Dialogue and Prayer, Oswiecim
As we made our way to the airport, I couldn't believe the day had finally come. I remember going to the first informational meeting and then receiving the email saying, “Congratulations, you’re going to Poland!” All I could think about was I’m going to study such a brutal part of history and walk the grounds where so many people suffered. I remember briefly learning about the Holocaust in middle school and in high school. I always found this genocide interesting as well as terrifying due to all the pain and mass destruction. I didn't know what to expect, but shortly spring semester was here and so would begin our class discussing the Holocaust. From our very first classes I learned many new things, like, the term “Shoah.”
 
Last Jewish cemetery in Oswiecim

Prior to this class I had no idea this was the proper way to discuss the tragic events that affected the Jews. But not only did the Jews suffer many others faced the same unfortunate events. As we met every Friday, my knowledge soon started to expand and I questioned the events more and more. For example, where was God during all of this? And how did people keep their faith alive after experiencing near death experiences? Or how could others be so cruel and dehumanizing to others?

Broken headstone in Jewish cemetery
 We arrived on Saturday morning to the Centre for Dialogue and Prayer in Oswiecim, which was nothing like what I was expecting to see. I didn't think it would be this big or this close to Auschwitz. After we had settled down, we soon went out to explore the town . We walked through the Jewish Cemetery and I was in utter disbelief as I saw tombstones that were cracked in half and other tombstones with numbers, not names or information. There were so many and all I could think about were all the lives that were ended. This saddened me since the cemetery had been destroyed out of hatred towards Jews. Its unbelievable that people could hold such a hatred towards another group.

Later that night we had a discussion with Sister Mary and she introduced these four dimensions that she wanted us to consider during our trip and experiences:
1.     “Listen to the voices of the earth.” By this she meant learn the facts and have a knowledge and a sense of the “invisible”
2.     “Listen to the voice of your heart.” This is all about reflection, which is very personal. One must think of their experiences and question what they observe.
3.     “Listen to the voice of others.” To do this we must interact with others and conversate to learn of the perspectives of others. We must create trust and enter a place of dialogue where everyone feels safe to speak openly. Many people may be hurt and instead of running away from this pain, we must empower it and so we empower life.
4.     “Listen to the voice of God.” This is referred to the spiritual dimension where we question God and his existence during these horrific years and deaths of thousands. We must question where he was and why he allowed this suffering to exist. This is the issue of consciousness and faith.

As this trip continues I’m both anxious and excited to see what awaits us. I wonder whether or not I’ll be able to open up and feel as well as understand Sister Mary’s four dimensions, I guess time will have to tell.


0 comments:

Post a Comment