Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Seeing Europe Through a New Lens


Photo taken at the Jewish cemetery in Oświęcim, Poland.


We arrived in Poland on Saturday morning and we went right to exploring the town of Oświęcim.  I did not even feel tired from not sleeping on the flight anymore because I was so excited to get my experience in Poland started.  Due to my excitement and energy, I almost forgot how hard the trip ahead of me was going to be.  I was quickly reminded of the tragedy that went on in the very area in which we were living.  

Sister Mary brought us to a Jewish Cemetery (photo above).  The moment I stepped into the cemetery I knew something was off.  I have gone to funerals and have visited my loved ones graves, but this cemetery was different.  My family members that have passed away have beautiful tombstones and flowers around them.  They have loved ones that come visit and I never need to worry about his resting place being disrupted.  

The Jewish cemetery was different because it did not seem at peace.  It was sad to learn that the cemetery was destroyed out of hatred. It is unbearable to think that people despised the Jews so much that they did not even think they were deserving of a decent resting place.  

Although the cemetery saddened me, it also gave me hope to see that volunteers pieced many of the broken tombstones back together in attempt to preserve what was left.  I learned that placing rocks on tombs is a sign of respect in the Jewish faith.  I said a prayer for all of the souls in the cemetery as I placed a stone on top of a large pile of shattered tombstones- each one with an innocent persons name on it.

We were then able to see an average Polish cemetery on our way back from the Jewish one.  The difference between them was immense. In comparison, the Polish cemetery felt much more at peace than the Jewish one.  It was filled with flowers, candles and visitors. All of the tombstones were representing the correct person that lay underneath.  I would soon learn that this was just the beginning of the eye-opening journey we had just embarked on.  


           
Statue of Pope John Paul II in the Square (Wadowice, Poland)


The next day was SO EXCITING!  I am such a nerd and I love Pope John Paul II so I was very interested in learning more about him and going to the place he was from.  

Wadowice was beautiful; the museum was the highlight of my day.  The museum was very modern and very attention grabbing.  I learned so much about JP II and even got to stand in the room where he was born! There was one room where there was sand/dirt from each Country he had visited during his time as the pope.  As someone who loves to travel, has been all over Europe, and plans to spend the rest of my life seeing the world, it was very inspirational to see how one person made a lasting impact on every single country that he visited. I will never influence people the way that JP II did around the world.  But I do hope to spread peace, form genuine relationships with all different people and be open minded to all unique perspectives, religions and cultures of others. 

It was also very moving to see the amount of broken ties in Jewish-Christian relations JP II mended.  Especially after learning about this history in our religion course, it was remarkable to be able to see the facts we learned carried out with love by JP II in reconciling with the Jewish population.  Along with the theme of reconciliation the last major inspiring point I will take with me was how he was so willing to forgive the person that attempted to murder him.  If JP II can forgive someone that attempted to take his life I can forgive anyone.  


The Basilica located next to JPII's home and museum. (Wadowice, Poland)


Following the museum we went to a psalm Sunday mass at JP II’s Basilica.  It was such a unique experience to be able to go to mass in Poland.  I have gone to mass in Europe before when I studied abroad in Ireland but I have never attended a mass that was in another language.  I did my best to follow along and it was not too hard since the overall structure of the mass was the same as the one I attend each week on Long Island or in New Rochelle.   Receiving the Eucharist was very confusing but we all figured it out together.  I prayed that we would all have the strength to get through the week with clear minds and full hearts and that each of us would be able to recognize our personal purposes of going on this trip. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment