Sunday, March 27, 2016

Loving What We Can't Understand

Today we leave Poland.  Visiting this country was an honor and a special privilege that all of us were able to experience.  My perspective of the Holocaust has completely changed throughout the course of 7 days.  At the end of this trip I have realized one thing.  We really will never fully understand what happened during the Holocaust and why it happened.  However, being able to come to Poland and witness the remains the grounds of where it took place has definitely deepened my understanding. My thoughts on what I believed happened during the Holocaust are completely different then what they are now.  I don’t care how many videos, books, and courses somebody has been exposed to.  You learn so much more by physically being here.  There is nothing quite like seeing the streets where once stood ghetto walls, seeing the grounds of the camps, and hearing the stories of survival, hope, and evil. 

One important thing to remember is that you cannot understand the Holocaust without remembering the millions of stories of the lives of each person affected by it.  There are multitudes of individual people that fought for their lives during this time.  You can know that millions of Jewish lives were taken away (over 6 million) but we also have to remember that these are millions of names and stories, not numbers.  Each of these people had lives just like you and me.  College students couldn’t go to school, families were separated from each other, babies were killed for no reason.  Individual lives were completely changed and thrown into one same fate.  Father Manfred told us in his lecture on Thursday that these people were categorized into one stereotype.  However, I will now never forget that each person in life has a name and dignity, you are not just a stereotype. 

The biggest problem of the Holocaust that Father Manfred said that we struggle with is ethics. The question is not where was God, but where was the human being? God is in the dignity of every person.  People encountered God when they decided to recognize or ignore each person’s human value.  Where was the human being to take responsibility and show respect for the life of others? Sometimes people did, and a lot of times, people suppressed their empathy for others.  But why?

In life evil will occur, because evil exists.  Humans have free will, given from God and we can choose to do good or evil.  God does not control this act.  However, we have to learn to love above all else.  To love even what we cannot understand.  I will never understand how the lives of so many people were taken away so efficiently.  However, I do know this.  Love never fails, and though I cannot understand why so much evil in the world happens.  My experience in Poland this week has helped me understand this: despite all our doubts, I need to and will continue to strive to love God and everyone in my life.  Hopefully we will understand, when it is our time, but for now, we are called as Christians to love.  And despite all these questions, I will choose love.


Thank you to Dr. Procario-Foley, Dr. Rozensher, and the rest of my classmates for an experience I will never forget.  I will cherish everything I learned with you and about you!  And to anyone reading this blog, push yourself to be a voice for love in action in the world. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment