Sunday, March 15, 2015

An EXHAUSTING first day in Poland

As we went to the museum today, exhausted and falling asleep, I think it was very interesting to see how involved Jewish people were in the culture of Oswiecim before world war two. As we saw, Jews were a big part of oswiecim society and affected Polish culture and life in the city in a huge way. As part of that, I think it was good that we went over Jewish rituals and customs in the synagogue, as I was especially curious and unfamiliar with them. The most moving part of the day, I think we can all agree, was the Jewish graveyard we saw in the second part of the day. To see the state of disruption and disturbance, even after restoration, which the grave yard was in was heart wrenching. What was even more concerning, as Ashley pointed out to me, was how we always pray for our dead loved ones to rest in peace and for these people to do that to the graveyard was against every wish of their loved ones and was a complete and utter disregard for their wishes and the respect for the dead. When we saw the monument of unknown gravestones and gravestones standing next to the tree, it hit me how utterly hateful one must be to do that to someone who is no longer with us. As we progress through the week, I expect to be moved in more ways than one and to see even more tragic places.--Grace Watters

0 comments:

Post a Comment