Sunday, March 19, 2017

Poland: Post-Shoah- Christopher Kash


As a senior there has been two moments that I have been looking forward to. The first is graduation and the second was my trip to Poland. I can excitedly say that I am living out my trip to Poland. As a study abroad trip, the class is called “Special Topics in Religion” where my group and I are focusing on religion during the Holocaust, also known as the Shoah.
We left for Poland on Friday, March 10th on a 6:30pm flight. Arriving in Germany a little after 7am on Saturday the 11th, we then caught our connecting flight to Poland. Arriving in Poland I didn’t know what to expect. I hadn’t really given any thought to the aesthetics of Poland or to the Polish people. The only thought that I did have was that the Polish people have quite a different life from my own. However, on the bus ride to the Center for Prayer and Dialogue where we are staying, I was shown how similar our lives are.

Our professor told us that while we are driving through the country we should look out the windows and admire the country. Being in a country for the first time, I was going to do this anyways so her telling us to do this only interested me more. This is where I saw glimpses of the lives of Polish people. The first was passing a playground where I saw a group of boys on the swings and jumping off once they reached a certain height. This caught my eye not because I didn’t know that other boys outside of the U.S. knew how to do this, but because I didn’t expect to see something that I partook in as a child. The second glimpse was passing a cemetery where I saw a woman with flowers wiping away tears at a grave. Of course I am aware that everyone suffers the pain of loss, but what really stood out to me about this moment was that I saw a personal moment of this women. I do not know the person or thoughts that she was having, but the fact that I was given a brief view of her life was extraordinary where the majority of this trip I will be given glimpses into many people’s lives. The last occurrence that I saw was a family with what appeared to be a teenage boy shopping for a car. A person’s first car is usually a memorable moment in an individual’s life, so the fact that I was able to have an outside look into this special moment and the others was incredible for me.

After we reached the Center for Dialogue and Prayer and had lunch/dropped our stuff off in the rooms, we went into the town of Oswiecim where the center is located and explored two cemeteries, one Jewish and one Christian. The difference between the two was startling. The Jewish cemetery has been through destruction at the hands of the Nazis. After the invasion, the Nazis tried to eradicate any signs and history of the Jewish population. The cemetery is one such example. The Nazis tried to destroy the tombstones and laid waste to the cemetery, almost destroying all evidence. What they were successful in doing was making it unknown who is buried there. Because of the desecration of the stones, the names of those buried were lost. In addition, the cemetery is bare. There is currently no Jewish population living in Oswiecim and because of this there are no relatives to bring flowers or candles to the graves. On the other hand, the Christian cemetery is quite the opposite. Since there are Christians throughout the town, the cemetery and graves are covered with beautiful flowers and candles from the still living relatives in the area. The comparison is quite different and upsetting to witness.

Christian Cemetery

Jewish Cemetery

Although the desecration of the cemetery occurred in an attempt to eradicate the Jewish population and history, they were not successful. Many individuals were able to help restore and beautify the Jewish cemetery after the fall of the Nazis, including the Christians. One of the main reasons for this was because the Christians were perpetrators or bystanders during the Shoah, and in order to remedy this situation the Catholic Church started making amends. In the famous Christian document, Nostra Aetate, Pope Paul the 6th called for the church to enter into dialogue and collaboration with the followers of other religions with prudence and love to recognize, preserve, and promote the good things, spiritual and moral, as well as socio-cultural values found among these men. In answering this call, the Christians of Oswiecim helped to restore this Jewish cemetery by restoring the tombstones in helping to remember those who passed. In addition, they help to keep the cemetery preserved by keeping the cemetery clean and by placing candles on the different graves to remember their memories in the absence of the Jewish people. These actions show the Christian people trying to remedy the actions that they took during the Shoah in persecuting the Jews.

Only being in Poland for one day has already taught me and showed me so much. I am excited and looking forward to the experiences that I will be able to learn and grow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment