Sunday, March 19, 2017

Names Can Always Be Remembered

Day III- Auschwitz I 



The constant reminder of human lives lost through lists of names that I have encountered has been intertwined during my time here in Poland. In Auschwitz I, a large book called, The Book of Names, was located on the bottom floor in Building 27. This book is a replica which includes the names, birth dates, location and death of those who were murdered during the Holocaust. I first opened up a page and started reading the names of those who were murdered. I then closed and went to a different section. I re-opened a new page and staring in front of me was Fidel Nutka born 1894 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and murdered in Odessa, Ukraine. Philadelphia is the city where my parents were born and raised and is where I hold so many memories that I cherish. This man’s story is unknown, but once again humanity can be connected. In Matthew 27 he talks about how Jesus is leaving his disciples and Jesus states, “I belong to what is above.” This place is one that they could not follow. As a Christian, I believe that names can be remembered but we do go to a better place (heaven) and live after death. Those that lost their loved ones during the Holocaust were and are able to remember them but these people went to a better place and lived a life after death. 

 
I took time to reflect back in the center alone. I prayed to God and reflected on my religion. Prior to this experience, I talked to a friend, who went on the trip prior and she mentioned to me how people may question where God was during this time. God was definitely present, through the survivors and the people who helped those suffering. Prior to arriving in Poland, a week earlier our class listened to a survivor’s story. A Holocaust survivor, Stan, mentioned how his mother was working as a maid and Stan was hiding in a closet in the house her occupation was located. At one point, a SS guard was about to open the closet Stan was hiding in, but his mother distracted the guard. In that split moment, he faced life or death. God was present in this moment that his mother was able to distract the guard. God works in miraculous ways, as Stan is still alive and married today.

The questions that I asked myself in the beginning of the trip are those that I have somewhat, but not fully have found the answers to. During my time here I have learned that throughout my life I will not be a bystander and always be an advocate for those that are voiceless. Being an advocate and being a voice for the voiceless does not always mean in grandest way possible. Little actions go a long way by helping those in your profession and even your next door neighbors. God was present during the time of the Shoah and it was through those that had a voice, that were courageous and were the ones that helped those who had no voice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment