Monday, March 19, 2018

THE JUXTAPOSITION OF AUSCHWITZ

Before my trip to Poland, I had many preconceptions and ideas of what I thought I was going to see and what my experiences would consist of. Although I had seen pictures, learned about the history, and heard stories from various people, nothing could have prepared me for stepping foot onto one of the largest mass graveyards in history. The experiences I have had during my time in Poland have truly opened my eyes into the cruel torment of people and dehumanization that existed only seventy-five years ago.

A view from underneath the sign at the entrance of Auschwitz I. This sign was often one the first sights that prisoners and victims would see before entering the concentration camp.
As I walked out of the gate of Auschwitz I today for I can confidently say will most likely be the last time, I couldn’t help but take a moment and pray for those who never had the opportunity to. The juxtaposition of the sign at the gate still haunts me. The sign reads “Arbeit Macht Frei,” which is translated to “Work Will Set You Free.” Unfortunately, for those who were forced to walk under the sign, they would soon realize it was a lie.

I stood for what felt like hours staring at the atrocity of the history that lie directly beneath my feet. I couldn’t help but take notice of the vast number of people with melancholy expressions and the sound of shuffling feet, it was almost if I closed my eyes I could be a witness to the first inmates of Auschwitz I. This experience reminded me of Alexander Donat’s memoir, The Holocaust Kingdom where he recounts the sounds and sights of his deportation to one of the camps. “When I reached the corner of the building, I understood the terror I had seen in everyone’s eyes. On both sides of us stood SS guards with grenades in their belts and submachine guns at the ready, holding barking police dogs straining at the leach. Never had I seen a collection of such murderous, degenerate human faces.” (pp. 140)

Throughout my time in Poland, I am constantly reminded of the importance of relationships between people. I find it difficult some days, with our busy schedule and the time difference to find time to talk to my mom, dad and brother, which are the most important relationships in my life. During one of our lectures with Fr. Manfred, (a German, Catholic priest who has devoted his life to studying and teaching German-Polish Reconciliation and Christian-Jewish Dialogue) he talked about the importance of our responsibility in relationships. One quote he said that stood out to me was “Relationships died at Auschwitz.” The horrific torture of the people brought to the Auschwitz camps was not only cruel but dehumanizing.

After spending what could have been weeks in cramped cattle cars, the inmates of the camps were stripped of all their possessions and separated from their families. As if this wasn’t cruel enough, they were subjected to brutal shavings and inhumane conditions. “We were told to strip; male barbers shaved our heads and the rest of our bodies with clippers. A girl rubbed each of us under the arms and between the legs with a rag dipped in disinfectant....as new arrivals went up to them in turn, they made adroit pricks in the skin with a tattoo needle on the left forearm.” (pp. 260)
Suitcases belonging to those who were brought to Auschwitz. In order not to panic the masses of people, SS guards allowed people to pack items they thought they would need, only to have it be collected upon entrance to Auschwitz, yet another juxtaposition.
As I look back so far on my experiences in Poland, I cannot help but think about the future that lies ahead. I think about explaining each and every picture that was taken in detail in order to spread the knowledge of what I have learned and to be a voice for the 6 million people that are now voiceless due to the Shoah. In the Nostra Aetate, written in 1965, there are many questions that come forth regarding what we can do now that the Shoah has ended. “Whence do we come, and where are we going.” (pp. 4) Moving forward from our experiences in Poland, I hope that my knowledge and improved language allow me to advocate for those who suffered and were senselessly killed.
Some of the innocent victims who were stripped of their identity and forced to work in Auschwitz during the Shoah.

0 comments:

Post a Comment