Monday, March 19, 2018

Our Duty To Remember

Today is our last full day in Poland. I am filled with emotions as I sit on the bus to Kraków for a long and full last day. As I look out the window, I am reminded of the opportunities that I have been given and how I can use these experiences to advocate and teach others. This week, I have been exposed to many different elements which have left me speechless, yet still I feel the desire to talk about each moment in such detail. The physical aspects of the Auschwitz camps are something that cannot be explained by pictures alone. Many friends and family have been asking what his trip has been like for me and it is impossible to describe my experiences in the short time that we have to talk. When I return to America, I believe it is my duty share the knowledge that I have learned throughout this experience. During one of the first classes we had, Dr. Procario-Foley shared with us the importance of being a witness. After hearing the testimonies of survivors of the Shoah and walking in the footsteps of those who have suffered, I am inspired to continue to share their stories.

Looking out at the immense size of the camp from the watch tower at Auschwitz II – Birkenau.
Upon arrival to Kraków, we visited the JCC (Jewish Community Center), which is a center focused on reviving the Jewish community for all generations. The center started only 10 years ago after Prince Charles visited Poland and spoke with Holocaust survivors about what their needs were, to where they explained that a place of community was needed. The JCC is a great example of how today’s Jewish community can come together a move forward from the destruction caused during World War II. At the center, we heard from a Holocaust survivor named Zofia. I was extremely impacted by her story of survival. She talked about the many obstacles she faced, one which was when her and her family were blackmailed. “Worst moment of my life - we were blackmailed when someone came to my apartment. My mom was terrified. We gave him money, clothes, and whatever else he wanted. After he left, we escaped.” (Zofia, 2018) In class we talked about the many sacrifices that Jews in Poland had to make in order to be kept out of the camps. Zofia admitted she knew she and her family were Jewish, however she was still baptized and learned about the Christian culture so that no one would suggest she was a Jew. Her story concluded with an uplifting quote, “so I am here now, safe, happy and lucky.” This brings me back to what I believe is one of the most important aspects of this trip; it is our duty to remember.
The group posing for a photo with Zofia, a Holocaust survivor after she shared her story.
This theme of remembrance is clearly outlined in not only the Nostra Aetate, but also in the 1998 document written titled We Remember: A Reflection on the Shoah. This document was significant in many ways, one being that it was the first time that the term “Shoah” was used rather than Holocaust. This clearly showed the empathy and growth in the relationships post World War II. Both documents show steps towards moving in the direction of understanding that the murder of 6 million Jews, cannot be forgotten. Whether it be reading and listening to stories or visiting and learning about different sites we have as a group become witnesses to what happened during this dark period in history. I now understand the important of being a witness – it is to share the stories that have been passed down from generations and to share the cold, dreary atmosphere of Auschwitz so people will never doubt, question, or most importantly forget about the Shoah.

I am a witness and I will not forget.

0 comments:

Post a Comment