Thursday, May 4, 2017

Work Doesn’t Always Set You Free


What are you suppose to feel the first time you walk though the gates of the largest Holocaust concentration camp? Sadness? Repulsed? Scared? Anxious? Fearful? Worried? Uncomfortable? Perplexed?

“Arbeit Macht Frei” meaning “Work Sets You Free”

To be honest, I didn’t know how I should feel.  On a gloomy day in March of 2017, I walked through the very same gates that ‘welcomed’ the millions of innocent victims to their own personal hell.  I entered a place where, those who survived the harsh transportation conditions, were separated from their loved ones, stripped of their personal identities, mocked for their physical features or religious beliefs, required to participate in hard labor and forced to live inhumanely, that is if they weren’t killed immediately upon arrival.  So if you asked me “How one is suppose to feel walking into a concentration camp?” I wouldn’t know what to say, because everyone is different and has a unique background, so two people may respond very differently.  If you were to ask me, “How did you feel walking through the gates of Auschwitz?” I would say numb.

Auschwitz I Bunkers

For most of the day, I found myself taking the educational approach to Auschwitz I.  From briefly learning about the Holocaust in school, to watching a few documentaries in my free time, to now standing in the place where these atrocities occurred, I was so eager to learn everything and anything.  I asked all sorts of questions to our tour guide Bart, but the one thing I was super focused on was the facts and statistics relating to Auschwitz.  Every new statistic he shared or question he answered, I quickly regurgitated into my cell phone.  I was so concerned about missing or misinterpreting the information, that I was primarily focused on properly recording the data.  However, the one thing I failed to do was: process the information Bart was actually sharing with me.

After visiting the disinfecting chambers, starvation cells, hanging sites, public execution sites, prison cells, prisoner’s bunkers and the Death Wall, we were given free time to explore Building 27.  This building was home to the exhibition of “Suffering and Struggle of Jews”, which focused on Jewish life before the Second World War commenced.  Since we had time to explore this exhibit at our own pace and I wanted to soak in as much information as I could, I found myself towards the back of our group.

I wandered into a dark room that had pictures of people with their names below projected on the walls.  Shortly after pre-war video footage began playing on all four walls.  Within a minute I was watching beautiful videos of people from all over Europe go about their every day lives within their communities.  After watching a clip of a happy, well dressed elderly couple dance and share a kiss, I began to cry.  

 For the first time in Auschwitz, the numbness fled and it everything began to feel real.  The facts and statistics Bart shared with me finally became a reality, because the people shown in the videos were once ordinary people, just like you and me.  They had families, significant others, children, jobs, went to the beach, shopped in local markets, ate ice cream, learned how to ride bikes and so on.  However, within a few years, these ordinary people would be deprived of all of that. 

I began to realize, the people shown in the videos could’ve very well stood in the same bunker I was now standing in, or walked through the very same gate I did earlier that day.  They could’ve been one of the thousands that died in transportation.  They could’ve been part of the 75% of people that were killed immediately when they arrived at Auschwitz.  The children in the videos could’ve been one of the 240,000 children that died in Auschwitz.  Of the 80,000 shoes on display in the museum, I wondered if any belong to the people in the video. 

Granted there were less than 100 people shown in the videos, I tried to multiply that amount to match all of those who were affected by the Soah.  I deeply thought about how these horrific events could’ve occurred and remembered an article published by the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum about hateful rhetoric at a white nationalist conference.  The article stated, “The Holocaust did not begin with killing; it began with words”. (Museum Condemns White Nationalist Conference Rhetoric) I later connected that to Martin Luther’s ‘The Jews and Their Lies” where he describes Jewish people as ‘stupid fools’.  He goes on to say, “They stand as a terrifying example of God’s wrath” and later prays “we all can be rid of the unbearable, devilish burden on the Jews”. (Luther).  I began to understand that public speakers, like Luther, were able to persuade their audiences to whole heartily believe their falsified words, which intensified the hatred of minority groups and lead to the creation of a hell-type place, such as Auschwitz.

At the end of the day, the Soah shouldn’t be just about the factual numbers, because those who were victims were people.  They had faces, stories and unique experiences, which should be remembered and honored by all.









WORK CITED

Luther, Martin. The Jews and Their Lies. York, SC: Liberty Bell Publications, 2004. Print.

"Museum Condemns White Nationalist Conference Rhetoric." United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, 21 Nov. 2016. Web. 28 Apr. 2017.




0 comments:

Post a Comment