Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Birkenhough related to the last days

On the trip to Auschwitz Birkenau I was in awe about the size of the camp. Looking out onto the camp grounds all I could think of was imagining all of the people there. Thousands and Thousands of people lined up in the barracks. Looking at the train car and railroad tracks I just imagined the people getting pulled off and sorted for selection. Everything came into full circle, from learning about it to actually standing where this horrible murders happened. The whole time I was in Birkenau the only thing I could really focus on was imaging the people who were imprisoned there. I started to think about the Movie we watched in the “The Last days.” In this movie the story of five Hungarian Jews who survived Auschwitz are told. Alice Lok Cahana, told her story of survival and what she had to endure on her horrific stay in Auswitchz. While in the camp Alice was on my mind as I walked through the women’s camp and passed the crematorium all I thought about was how Alice and the rest of survivors from the last days were standing in the exact spot where I am standing, However, the only difference was that they were prisoners of the Germans and I was not.

From the observation tower you can see far, including the barracks where prisoners stayed.
View from the observation tower in Auswitchz Birkenau

0 comments:

Post a Comment