Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Hero

Above is a picture of where Father Maximilian Kolbe's humble act took place.

This picture was taken in Auschwitz I right where Father Maximilian Kolbe’s humble act took place. Prior to attending this trip I did not know who he was, but after hearing his story I was very moved. In the lecture by Father Manfield, we learned that when one prisoner escaped 10 prisoners were punished and killed. When one of the prisoners escaped, a man was selected to be executed. This man begged to not be killed and said, “I have a wife and child!” Father Maximilian Kolbe stepped forward and claimed his place. The Nazis were surprised to see anyone stand up for someone and talk to them the way the Father Maximilian Kolbe did. One of the Nazi even told him to step back in line, but he insisted to take this strangers place and said, “I have no children or family. Let me take his place.” I was very moved when I heard this story, and when I saw the location where this happened.

This picture is the room in which Father Maximilian Kolbe and the other 9 prisoners were placed to die.

Father Manfield mention to us that after 2 weeks of not having any food or water, and being locked in such a small room, the father as well as 2 other man survived. The rest who were locked in this cell had died. Those who shockingly survived the harsh conditions in this cell, then were killed. The fact that the father Maximilian Kolbe lasted for so long in such conditions, meant a lot to me. It showed me how far his faith and good deals brought him. Looking at how small the cell was reminded me of Stan Ronell story. He too was locked in a very tight close space. However, unlike Father Maximilian Kolbe, he was in a closet in a house hiding with his mother. Both Stan Ronell and Father Maximilian Kolbe saw not light for days.

In my psychology classes I learned that humans not only need the sunlight, so they can make large amounts of vitamins D, but also for their mental health as well. When humans are exposed to sunlight, the brain releases serotonin. This is related to helping someone feel calm, and focused. There have also been other studies that states that serotonin helps someone feel happy. Those who do not have enough exposure, may be more prone to depression symptoms. These results have been tested in the north part of Alaska where half the year it is just sunny, and the other half is pure darkness. In addition to all the other factors that many individuals who were victims of the SHOAH faced, it can be said this additional factor only made it worst for them. Not only where the Nazis hurting them physically, but also mentally. This historic trauma may still be seen in those who were affect because of the SHOAH.

0 comments:

Post a Comment