Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The Omega: Becoming an Educator

"Forever let this place be a cry of despair and a warning to humanity where the Nazis murdered about one and a half million men, women, and children mainly Jews from various countries of Europe." The memorial at Auschwitz-Birkenau. 22 stones with this inscription are lined up next to each other to symbolize the lives lost from each country. The memorial is located in between the ruins of gas chambers and crematories II and III.

Now that I am back home, I have often reflected on my time in Poland. The time I spent walking through Auschwitz I and Auschwitz-Birkenau will forever be a part of me and my memory and I will be forever grateful for being able to see the remnants for myself.

I still cannot get the image of a mother being separated from her newborn child or a newly-wed couple seeing each other for the last time out of my head. I still feel uneasy when thinking about the little clothing items that were taken from children and the photographs of newborns being carried to the gas chamber. All these images, amongst others, will forever be in my mind.

Since the night we went to Auschwitz-Birkenau, I've been thinking about looking into becoming an educator. I feel that by becoming an educator I will ensure that no one will forget this happened. I will feel like I am making sure that those who lost their lives will forever be remembered.

Although I am sad that my trip is over, I am glad to be home. I missed being home with my family and loved ones. But, now that I am home after being on such an educational trip, I can share all of the information that I learned with others who ask about how the trip was.

I am looking forward to where I will take this knowledge and who I can help educate. I can't wait for all of the new friendships I've made to grow and develop even further. #Poland2K16Forever !

That's all from me folks. It was nice talking to you all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment